Sunday, April 17, 2016

9. No more Gangnam Style

Hello, 안녕!

I think you guys have listen to 'Gangnam Style' at least once, and some of you even know how to dance 'Gangnam Style.' The song is performed by PSY, the Korean singer.
It's amazing that the culture of a country, which is so small that it is hard to find in the world map, can reach to this far and enormous continent. Apart from K-Pop, you can see Korean dramas, movies and products in everywhere in your life, like Samsung or Hyundai. I am proud of being Korean when I find these cultures of Korea in America.

I want to introduce especially about K-Pop, because sometimes I feel like American people only remind of Gangnam Style when it comes to Korean song. Although I am happy for Gangnam Style to be famous, I just want to let you know there are much better and diverse kinds of Korean songs.

Actually, the biggest part of K-pop is idol bands, which I don't like that much. Korean boy bands and girl groups are really popular even in adjacent countries like China and Japan. Consequently, a lot of entertainment agencies try to make idol stars for money, so there has been new artist almost once a week, which I can't remember the hundreds of names any more. The reason why I do not love this industry is that it contributes for media to merchandise sex of minors, and they are usually not good at singing, but just for showing. Nevertheless, there are also many of quality idol groups and individual singers that have amazing talent. I want to introduce Big Bang and SHINee. Both group has unique characteristics.



BIG BANG


They started from hip hop based group, but now individually making their own music, they perform electronica, dance, and R&B and so on. GD, the leader of this group is famous for his unique fashion and composing talent; he makes almost all songs in the albums. I recommend you to listen each members' individual songs.


SHINEE
SHINee is, as they named themselves, a contemporary band, so they perform experimental and unique music. Sometimes it's like modern art; at first, it is strange and hard to understand. But I think they have special color in their music and atmosphere which nobody can mimic. There is a song which is composed by Bruno Mars and performed by Taemin, one of the members of SHINee. Its title is 'Press Your Number' in the second video I attached. 



Secondly, I want to introduce Korean Hip-hop. There have been hip hop from 1990s in Korea, but recently it is getting popular than before. I think some of Korean hip hop artists want to follow American hip hop, and some wants to have there own characteristics in their music. I think most korean hip hops are like later one, and cuter than American hip hop. Here are my two of favorite hip hop artists: Dynamic Duo and Beenzino.

Dynamic Duo


They have been performed for over 15 years in Korea. I think the best part of their music is that all their song has great lyrics arousing sympathy. Some songs are strong with swear words, and some are smooth like slow jam. They are good.


Beenzino




He is a good-looking young rapper (Sorry this songs do not have a music video!) 
His songs are usually about art, youth and love. He got famous from 2010, being exposed numerous by concerts. Now, he is kind of fashion and cultural icon. I'm sure you are going to like his music once you listen to it.





Also, there are lovely and ambient songs, too. (I don't know what specific genre they are. Chilling music?) I actually don't know well about the artists, I just like going to bed with these music.


CHEEZE 
일기예보 (Weather Forecast)


Eddy Kim 
너 사용법(The Manual)


Crush & Zion.T 
그냥 (Just)


If you ran out of songs to listen in your playlist, and looking for new songs, how about listening K-pop songs I recommend? No more Gangnam Style !

No comments:

Post a Comment